"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi

Friday, November 6, 2009

Wait. What? You’re going back? Girl, you crazy.

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, “heck yes.” A group of about 10 of us, plus some others doing Peace Corps Response will be heading back to the wonderful, mysterious, beautiful, and somewhat still politically unstable island of Madagascar. Things are safe there, so no worries about that, and frankly have been since we left for the most part. Hind sight is 20/20, I guess. Going back will be interesting to say the least. I’m just really lucky to have such a great group of people to share this experience with and to grow with while I’m there. Truly amazing people, love you guys.

With this new experience comes new challenges, duh. I’m excited about this, though. Learning a new dialect of Malagasy, living in the north, not the southeast, starting all over in a new village, but along with this comes a new banking town that has a swim-up bar. What, what?! Hey, not bad, right? I know, maybe that sounds too much like a vacation to you? In all honestly, I might be there a few times while I’m there at the most, as you have to pay to swim there, and “tsy misy vola fa misy volo”, as I used to tell people, or “I have no money, but I have hair”. Come on, you know that’s funny. Laugh. Live a little. But seriously, should be a good time and I’m looking forward to exploring a new part of the island and getting back to work! I’m still doing environmental work and should be working with rice still and farming. Exciting! I know, I know. Be jealous. Better yet, come visit and see for yourself!

Although, I was so bummed about leaving before and coming home, it’s been a good time being back and I’m so glad I got to see most of you!! Totally thankful for that! I will have to say that I’ve been waiting to go back ever since I got home. Guilty. I’m beyond stoked on getting this opportunity to return to the place I love with the people I have come to adore and the work that completely inspires me. I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers summed it up best, “Take me to the place I love, take me all the way!”

Cheers to a fresh start!

1 comment:

Dededededededede said...

Okay, I'll come visit!!! Begosi Aho!

Disclaimer

Brittany is solely responsible for the content of this blog; the views herein expressed are hers alone and are not necessarily those of the Peace Corps or of the United States Government.