"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My life this past week...

This past week has been an eventful one. I had my first meeting with all the important people in the village or 'lehibes'. I would say it went pretty well and we are all on the same page about what needs to be done in our village. As usual I had my speech re-translated into proper Malgasy haha at least a few people understand me I guess. We're looking to have a tree nursery and to rebuild our school.

The weather hasn't been my friends this week and has been pretty rainy. I didn't get to even really start my garden or compost pile. I did get some much needed weeding done so that was good. I got to see the rice field we'll be working on when I get back so that was exciting. I also got some fishing in this week as well with my 2 little friends. I wasn't able to catch as many as them but I was just happy I caught something. They both caught 5 and I caught 2 so they each gave me 1 of theirs so we would all be even. haha I thought that was really sweet of them.

Our church here has been having a party the past weekend. I'm not really sure why but its fun to hang out with everyone. We've watched movies each night at church as well. The other night it was in English, so I was the only one who could understand it haha. We had a big lunch on Saturday where everyone but me ate chicken haha. I had carrots potatoes and of course rice. You can't forget the rice!

Other than that not too much going on but I'll be in the capital tomorrow so thats exciting I guess and then our training and such. I'm just looking forward to eating good food and seeing everyone! haha Sunday night before I left my site I made spaghetti dinner for my 2 best friends at site who have probably never eaten a meal without rice before haha. I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it and they said they were really full because I feed them so much haha. They did eat everything on their plates haha. I was joking around and pretended to lick my plate since it was so good! haha so my one friend did lick hers clean! haha They're great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite an adventurous life over there! I studied abroad in Costa Rica years ago and rice too was always on the menu!! Take care, sounds like your b-day was a nice time.

My new favorite quote: "Don't let yesterday take up too much of today" - Cherokee tribe

Love, Adrienne

Disclaimer

Brittany is solely responsible for the content of this blog; the views herein expressed are hers alone and are not necessarily those of the Peace Corps or of the United States Government.